Dell Children’s Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) Program is the only pediatric ECMO program in the Greater Austin Area. The ECMO Program is designed for neonates and pediatric patients, including those with congenital heart defects and cardiovascular disease. ECMO is the use of mechanical devices to temporarily support heart or lung function during cardiopulmonary failure.
Patients who benefit from using ECMO have conditions that include:
- Asthma that is getting a lot worse, instead of getting better
- Breathing toxic fluids into the lungs
- Bridge to Heart Transplant
- Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia
- Congenital Heart Defects
- Meconium Aspiration Syndrome (MAS)
- Near Drowning
- Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn (PPHN)
- Traumas (i.e., car accidents)
- Unable to wean from cardiopulmonary bypass after heart surgery
- Very bad infections
- When the child has experienced an emergency situation
Special follow-up care is strongly recommended for children who have been on ECMO. Please inform your Primary Care Physician of this and have your health care practitioner call the Dell Children’s ECMO office for further information and suggested follow-up testing.
ECMO office: (512) 324-0000, ext 86455