Suffocation due to an unsafe sleep environment is the leading cause of injury-related deaths among children under 1 year of age. By following a few simple tips, parents and caregivers can create a safer sleep space for little ones.
Top Safety Tips:
- Babies should be placed on their back for every sleep.
- Babies should sleep in their own sleep space, such as a crib, bassinet, or pack-n-play. It is recommended that babies sleep in the same room as their parents, but not in the same bed.
- Babies should sleep on a firm surface, such as a crib mattress with a tight-fitting crib sheet.
- Avoid soft bedding, loose pillows, crib bumpers, stuffed animals, or blankets in a baby’s sleep space because these could block a baby’s airway.
- Safe Kids Worldwide – Sleep Safety and Suffocation
- American Academy of Pediatrics – Parents Guide to Safe Sleep