The Dell Children’s Comprehensive Epilepsy Program offers state-of-the-art care with a family-centered approach, all within a unique holistic environment. Whether you seek just an evaluation in our kid-friendly epilepsy monitoring unit or co-management of your patient’s treatment – our multidisciplinary team is here to offer the support you need.
How We Help Epilepsy Patients
This video provides you and your child with more information about what our comprehensive epilepsy program has to offer.
“Our goal in surgery is to improve quality of life. And for different patients that is a different thing.”
– Mark Lee, MD, PhD, FACS, Co-Director of Dell Children’s Comprehensive Epilepsy Program
How We Help Providers
This video explains how referring doctors and their staff can help patients through our collaborative approach and referral flow.
“We’ll follow patients with you together, we’ll make decisions with you together.”
– Dave Clarke, MD, Director of Dell Children’s Comprehensive Epilepsy Program
High Tech with a Human Touch
Dell Children’s Medical Center is designated as a Level 4 Epilepsy Center by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers. This means that we have the equipment and expertise needed to provide the highest level of care to children with complex epilepsy. Our program also includes:
- Complex Medical Management – We offer a multifaceted approach to management of patients with epilepsy from seizure onset to pharmacoresistance. Our center will evaluate your patient and, as a team, create a plan of care.
- Advanced Surgical Treatment – We offer a range of palliative and definitive surgeries, including laser ablation, topectomy, lobectomy and vagus nerve stimulation.
- Dietary Intervention – We offer ketogenic diet (KD), Modified Atkins (MAD), Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT), and Low Glycemic Index (LGIT) therapy that may help reduce seizure burden.
- Eight-Bed Epilepsy Monitoring Unit – Our EMU is equipped with advanced technology including wireless EEG and staffed with highly-trained personnel.
- Neuropsychological Testing – This testing is completed as part of a comprehensive neuropsychological assessment to determine the impact of epilepsy on brain development and functioning.
- Comprehensive Neuroimaging Technology – We have a full range of advanced diagnostic testing tools including MEG, fMRI and PET.
- New-Onset Seizure Clinic – Get help in determining whether a first seizure is epileptic so that you can chart a proper course of diagnosis and treatment.
- Surgical Evaluation Clinic – This specialized clinic gives our epileptologist and neurosurgeon an opportunity to discuss surgical treatment options with the patient, family and loved ones.
- Ketogenic Diet Clinic – This specialized clinic gives our epileptologists and dietitians an opportunity to determine if a patient is a candidate for the diet and to educate caregivers about what is required to provide optimal control of seizures.
- Tuberous Sclerosis Complex Program – Our Comprehensive Tuberous Sclerosis Complex Program identifies and provides all-inclusive diagnostic and therapeutic care to pediatric patients.