The Children’s Sleep Disorder Center at Dell Children’s offers many resources to patients and their families. Below are some helpful suggestions and links to parents who have children with sleep problems.
How to prepare your child’s visit for the overnight sleep study
- Please check in at the center by 6pm. Checkout time is 7am. Prior to bedtime, your child will be set up with appropriate monitoring equipment, such as having electrodes placed on her face and body to measure heart rates and eye movements during sleep.
- Your child’s comfort is a top priority. TV and DVD are provided in his room, as well as a foldout bed for one parent. You are also welcome to bring food, toys, blanket and anything else that will relax your child for the sleep study.
- Outfit your child in loose-fitting clothing. A comfortable pajama is a good choice.
- Do not forget your child’s medications and any other necessities for the stay.
- Please reschedule the overnight study if your child is sick. Also, please notify us ahead of time, if you need to cancel the study.
Helpful suggestions for children with sleep disorders
- Maintain a routine wake-up time
- Encourage routine physical activity and play during the day
- Avoid TV, computers and video games close to bedtime
- Avoid caffeine in the evening
- Set aside room for sleep only; no TV, reading and any other disruptive activity should be allowed
- Have regular bedtime schedule and stick to it
- Adjust sleep time as appropriate for your child’s age and needs
- Do not give sleep medications without your child’s doctor’s approval