Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
Our allergists and immunologists treat kids with allergies, asthma and a wide range of immunologic disorders. Care for these pediatric conditions includes testing/evaluation/diagnosis, treatments such as oral and topical medications, and collaborative management and education to minimize symptoms. We have the ability to treat very common conditions as well as children with rarer immunodeficiency disorders and diseases.
All new and established patients are evaluated by our physicians who are dual Board Certified in Pediatrics and Allergy/Immunology. Our physicians are on the teaching faculty at Dell Medical School at University of Texas and on full-time staff at Dell Children’s Medical Center, providing 24/7 on-call coverage for our patients and Dell Children’s Medical Center. Our section collaborates closely with pediatric medical and surgical specialists in the Austin area and beyond.
Designated Food Allergy Center of Excellence
Our team is nationally recognized as one of the “Centers of Excellence” within the Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE) Clinical Network. FARE Centers of Excellence focus on providing the most advanced food allergy care, including participation in clinical trials and a full range of clinical services. We provide evidence-based care for the medical, psychosocial, and nutritional needs of our patients in a kid-friendly environment.
Because children with food allergies are likely to suffer from other allergies as well, asthma, eczema, environmental allergies and any allergic condition can be addressed alongside food allergy treatments.
Some of the pediatric services we offer include:
- Comprehensive evaluation of allergic and immunologic disorders
- Skin testing – environmental allergens, foods, drugs, insects, contact allergens
- Laboratory testing – on-site pediatric phlebotomy services
- In-office pulmonary function testing
- Medically supervised oral food and drug challenges
- Drug desensitization – inpatient and outpatient
- Immunotherapy (allergy shots), insect allergy, allergic asthma, allergic rhinoconjunctivitis
- Step-up treatment for asthma, including immunotherapy and biologic agents
- Evaluation of recurrent infections
- Evaluation of abnormal SCID newborn screen
- Outpatient administration and monitoring of IVIG and biological agents at our onsite infusion center
- Management of immunodeficiency and bone marrow transplant patients in close collaboration with state and nationwide experts
- Participation in food allergy research, clinical trials, and patient databases
- Multidisciplinary care involving Child Life Specialists, Pediatric Psychologists, and Medical Translation services
Some of the conditions we treat include:
- Food allergy, including FPIES (food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome)
- Allergic rhinitis – seasonal allergy, “hay/cedar fever”, indoor/outdoor allergy
- Allergic conjunctivitis
- Immune deficiency – primary and secondary
- Insect allergy
- Skin allergy – contact dermatitis, urticaria, angioedema, atopic dermatitis/eczema
- Drug allergy
- Eosinophilic esophagitis