Level I Children’s Surgery Center verification offers unparalleled surgical care to infants & children
(AUSTIN, Texas – July 11, 2018) — Dell Children’s Medical Center of Central Texas has been verified as a Level I Children’s Surgery Center by the American College of Surgeons Children’s Surgery Verification Quality Improvement Program (ACS CSV). This elite designation recognizes Dell Children’s specialized pediatric care for the most complex surgical patients, from premature infants to adolescents.
Dell Children’s is the only Level I children’s surgery center in Central Texas and the eleventh children’s hospital in the nation to achieve this distinction.
“Infants and children have specialized needs,” said Nilda Garcia, M.D., FACS, surgeon-in-chief and medical director of children’s surgery at Dell Children’s Medical Center. “The medical literature shows they have better clinical outcomes when cared for in hospitals with appropriately trained personnel and equipment specifically tailored to their needs. This verification from the American College of Surgeons assures families that the team at Dell Children’s is fully prepared to provide the highest-quality care, specifically designed to meet the needs of children.”
Dell Children’s offers highest level of surgical care, close to home
A Level I children’s surgery center verification means that Dell Children’s is specially equipped to provide patients and their families a robust level of surgical care, in all major pediatric specialties for children of all ages, right here in Austin.
To become a Level I surgery center, Dell Children’s met essential criteria for staffing, training, and facility infrastructure and protocols for pediatric surgical patients. The verification process also included an extensive site visit by an ACS team of experienced children’s surgeons, anesthesiologists and nurses who reviewed the center’s structure, process, and clinical outcomes data.
“As only the eleventh children’s hospital in the United States to achieve Level I verification, Dell Children’s Medical Center is in the top tier of medical facilities providing high-quality surgical care for infants and children,” said Deb Brown, R.N., B.S.N., M.H.A., vice president chief operating office at Dell Children’s Medical Center. “We take immense pride in this achievement, as it underscores our commitment to providing the highest quality care to the children of Central Texas.”
Leader in pediatric healthcare for Central Texas
Serving a 46-county area, Dell Children’s continues a decade of providing comprehensive specialty care, improving the health and wellness of Central Texas children:
- Dell Children’s remains the only Pediatric Level I Trauma Center in Central Texas.
- Dell Children’s is home to the only Level IV NICU in the region that is part of a full service, standalone children’s hospital, offering the highest level of care for Central Texas’s most critically ill babies.
- Dell Children’s continues to bring clinical trials and research to Central Texas children and families, offering innovative treatments and cures.
- Convenient access to Dell Children’s world-class pediatric emergency care is now available at Seton Northwest Hospital, Seton Southwest Hospital, Seton Medical Center Hays in Kyle, Seton Medical Center Williamson in Round Rock and Providence Healthcare Network in Waco, allowing families access to care, closer to home.
- The new 24-bed Grace Grego Maxwell Mental Health Unit, provides comprehensive mental health services for children and teens in a dedicated pediatric-focused environment.
- One of the world’s leading pediatric heart surgeons Charles Fraser Jr., M.D., joined Dell Children’s as chief of pediatric and congenital cardiothoracic surgery, providing comprehensive care for the most complex cases.