What is TEDMED?
What if we gathered together thought leaders from all corners of the world to discuss some of the major issues, innovations and questions in health and medicine? That’s the purpose of TEDMED – Ideas. Discussion. Sharing.
TEDMED is the annual, health care-focused conference sponsored by internationally renowned TED Talks. The talks will be streamed live to audiences worldwide via organizations pre-approved by the TEDMED team.
TEDMED organizers pre-approved Seton Healthcare Family, the Texas Medical Association and the University of Texas at Austin to live stream the conference sessions. That led the three organizations to come together to offer TEDMED weekin Austin.
In addition to streaming the videos, Seton will host live discussions featuring local innovators and thought leaders. Seton’s events will take place at the Clinical Education Center at Brackenridge over two days:
- 2 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 11
- 7 a.m. until noon Friday, Sept. 12
On Wednesday, Sept. 10, four Seton doctors will participate in the Texas Medical Association’s TEDMED Week event, which will be held from 1 to 7:30 p.m. in the Thompson Auditorium at the TMA building, 401 W. 15th St. Topics to be addressed are:
- Risky Behaviors and how Travis County compares with Texas and the nation on binge drinking, alcohol-related traffic fatalities, HIV and sexually transmitted infection rates.
- Unhealthy is the New Normal and a look at innovations that can help Austinites become and stay healthier where they live, work, and worship. (This panel will feature Dr. Stephen Pont of Dell Children’s Medical Center, who also is medical director for the Texas Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Childhood Obesity.)
- Emergency Room Superusers and how “frequent flyers” – patients who return repeatedly to the emergency department – and other factors driving emergency department use at one Austin hospital. (This panel will feature three medical directors of Seton emergency departments: Dr. Todd Nash of Seton Northwest Hospital; Dr. Rhett Reed of Seton Medical Center Hays and Dr. Christopher Ziebell of University Medical Center Brackenridge.)
Join us for 15 minutes or the whole day on any of the three days. Attendance is free for all of the events.
THURSDAY AND FRIDAY SCHEDULES FOR SETON EVENTS
Thursday, Sept. 11
TEDMED videos will be streamed every hour
Greg Hartman, President, Academic Medicine, Research, External Affairs, Seton Healthcare Family
3 and 4 p.m.
Live Talks: Hi-Tech Cures The health care community is taking the lead from other industries to use technology to make our community better, smarter & healthier.
- Laura Bosworth, CEO & Co-Founder, TeVido BioDevices (3:30 PM)
- Jason Bornhorst, CEO & Co-Founder, Filament Labs (4:30 PM)
Moderator: Michael Patton, President and CEO, Texas Medical Accelerator
Live Panel: Healthy by Design To sustain a healthy community, we must design it to succeed.
- Dr. Clay Johnston, Dean, Dell Medical School
- Bonnie Reese, Insights Director, frog
- Tommy Fad, Founder, Gritness
- Gail Vittori, Co-Director, Center for Maximum Potential Building Systems
Moderator: Kate Henderson, Seton Healthcare Family, President of Central Group and Health Equity Initiatives
Cocktail Hour in UMC Brackenridge Tranquility Garden
Friday, Sept. 12
Mike Millard, Executive Director of Innovation, Technology and Research, Seton Healthcare Family
Live Talks: Hi-Tech Cures
- Gerald “Jerry” J. Wilmink, PhD MBA, Founder & CEO, WiseWear (8:20 a.m.)
- Igor Holas , Founder and CEO, Mentegram (8:40 a.m.)
- Cyndi Nickel, CEO and President, and Dr. John Bedolla, Medical Advisor,DxUpClose, Inc. (9:30 a.m.) (Dr. Bedolla also is an emergency room infectious disease physician and Seton Emergency Department physician)
Live Panel: Why Big Data Isn’t Enough While we might have the tools in place to harness a lot of data, the BIG issue is how to understand it and then use it … safely.
- Ryan Leslie, Seton Healthcare Family, Vice President for Analytics and Health Economics
- Carol Dobosh, Aetna, SVP Strategy and Operations Accountable Care Solutions
- Michelle LeCointe, Baker Botts, Special Counsel
- Sean Anderson, Rackspace, Manager of Data Services
Moderator: Dr. Tate Erlinger, Vice President of Clinical Effectiveness and Care Redesign & Medical Director, Seton Health Alliance
Coffee and connections