Texas Health Steps are important medical checkups that include all of the necessary medical screenings, vaccinations (shots), and laboratory tests specific to your child’s age. These tests are recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
At your visit, the provider will check the condition of your child’s
- Ears, nose, and throat.
- Head and brain (includes testing of coordination, reflexes, and senses).
- Chest and lungs.
- Stomach area / abdomen.
- Bones and skeletal structure.
There is no fee for Texas Health Steps checkups- it is covered by Medicaid. Medicaid will also likely cover any treatment needed if your child needs extra attention. You can call Texas Health Steps toll free at 1-877-847-8377 (1-877-THSteps)
Find out more about when your child needs to be seen:
Birth to 1 Year
- Babies need check up when they are:
- 3-5 days old
- 1-2 weeks old
- 2 months old
- 4 months old
- 6 months old
- 9 months old
- Doctors make sure babies are healthy and growing as they should.
- Dental checkups start when your baby is 6 months old. The dentist or doctor might put fluoride on your child’s teeth as part of a dental or medical checkup.
1 to 4 Years
- Children in this age group need medical checkups when they are:
- 12 months old
- 15 months old
- 18 months old
- 2 years old
- 2.5 years old
- 3 years old
- 4 years old
- The doctor may check your child’s hearing and eyesight in these checkups.
- Children need dental checkups every 6 months and maybe more often if the dentist finds problems.
5 to 10 Years
- Children in this age group need medical checkups once each year. An easy way to remember is to set up a checkup on your child’s birthday.
- The dentist may want to put a special coating on your child’s teeth. These are called sealants, and they help prevent tooth decay.
11 to 20 Years
- Teens and young adults in this age group need medical checkups once each year. An easy way to remember is to setup a checkup on your child’s birthday.
- The doctor may talk with your teen about eating habits, exercise, ways to prevent injuries, and how to have a healthy lifestyle.