What is Disease Management?
Disease Management is a service offered by Dell Children’s Health Plan CHIP that helps you get the care you (or your child) need when you need it. It is a program for people who have a health condition that needs special care and attention. Our disease management programs include:
- Asthma–Asthma is a long-term condition that makes it hard to get air into the lungs. Asthma may cause wheezing, tightness in the chest, shortness of breath, and coughing.We can give you an asthma action plan for you and your health-care provider to complete. This will help monitor your condition, stay away from your triggers, and manage your medication (meds).
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)–Taking care of your heart is one of the best things you can do for your health. The heart pumps blood to the whole body. Having CHF means the heart can’t pump as hard as it should. We can help you understand CHF better. That way, you and your health-care provider(s) can work together to help you feel your best.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)–COPD is a condition in which damage to the lungs has caused the airways to change shape and feel partly blocked. This makes it hard to breathe. We can help you learn to breathe easier to possibly improve your quality of life. We’ll help you learn how to use inhalers, spacers, nebulizers, and other devices, along with other skills for living with COPD.
- Diabetes–If you’re living with diabetes, you’re not alone. Diabetes happens when your body’s blood sugar (the amount of sugar in the blood) levels are usually higher than normal. It means there’s a problem making enough of a hormone called insulin, or your body isn’t using insulin like it should. We can help you lower your risk of complications (problems or issues) and make your quality of life better.
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)–Hypertension is also called high blood pressure. Blood pressure is the amount of force it take for your heart to pump blood through your body. When your blood pressure is high, it can lead to other health problems. We can help you make short- and long-term goals that will help you manage your blood pressure.
- Major depressive disorder (adult)–Everyone feels blue or sad some of the time, but these feelings don’t last very long. When a person has major depressive disorder (MDD or clinical depression), these feelings don’t go away easily. They can get in the way of your everyday life. Depression is common and a real illness. The important thing to know is that it can be treated. We’re here to help you find resources in your area or help you talk with your family or caregiver about MDD.
- Major depressive disorder (child and adolescent)–Kids and teens can also have major depressive disorder (MDD or clinical depression).We can help kids and teens talk with their families and health-care providers about MDD, get treatment, and live a healthier life.
- Substance use disorder–Substance use disorder is a disease that leads to the use of drugs, alcohol, or other substances in a way that causes problems for your health or in your life. We can help those with substance use disorder work together with their health-care provider(s) to talk about treatment options (choices of ways to get better) and finding local community programs and resources.
Your Case Manager at Dell Children’s Health Plan can help in many ways. Your Case Manager can:
- Listen to you to understand your specific needs
- Work with community agencies that will help you (or your child) get the extra care that you need
- Help you get important facts to help you better understand your (or your child’s) illness or condition
- Make a plan of care with your help and the help of your (or your child’s) doctor
- Follow your (or your child’s) health condition and help to make sure you are getting the care you need
- Offer smoking cessation services
If you have any questions or would like to enroll, call Dell Children’s Case Management at 1-844-564-5212 or (512) 324-3015