Boys < 9 years
- Testicular enlargement ( > 4ml or > 2.5 cm)
- Penile enlargement
URGENT: Call MD on-call to discuss and start treatment.
On-Call Phone #
Day: (512) 628-1830
After Hours: (512) 323-5465
- TSH and T4 or Free T4 by dialysis
- Bone age
- Pediatric LH (CPL 2776, Esoterix 500234, Lab Corp 502286)
- Pediatric FSH (CPL 2700, Esoterix 500192, LabCorp 502280)
- Pediatric Testosterone (CPL 2833, Esoterix 500286, Lab Corp 500159)
- Growth chart
- Bone age results- Please have parent bring a copy of film/CD to appointment.
- Lab results
- Relevant clinical notes with physical examination including Tanner stage.
Facts to Remember
- Standard LH, FSH, Estradiol or Testosterone assays are not reliable for children, please use test codes provided.
- Consider imaging testing such as pelvic ultrasound or brain and pituitary MRI if warranted.
- In benign premature thelarche, the nipples are not usually dark or enlarged as seen in precocious puberty.
- Fine downy and non-pigmented short hair is not considered secondary sexual pubic hair.
- Pubic hair on the suprapubic area is more indicative of precocious puberty than hair on the labial majora or scrotum.