When to Initiate Referral
- Symptomatic, rapidly progressing, or numerous molluscum lesions
- Molluscum in immunosuppressed patients
- New cases of molluscum can be observed clinically without treatment. If treatment is desired, options vary based upon location and number of lesions.
Molluscum on the Face, Neck, Axillae, Inguinal Folds or Genitalia
- Tretinoin 0.025% or 0.05% cream/gel to the lesions, 3 to 5 nights per week as tolerated. Note: Topical retinoids may be irritating and should be avoided in patients with eczema. They should not be applied close to the eyes.
Molluscum on the Trunk or Extremities
- In-office treatments (cantharidin, curettage, or liquid nitrogen) every 4 to 6 weeks if available and pediatrician has experience with treatments.