Dell Children's Medical Center of Central Texas invites all college students, 18 years and older, to participate in our College Volunteer Program. In addition to making a difference in the community, students will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience through volunteering. College volunteers work in many exciting areas throughout the hospital. First-time volunteers are required to volunteer in one of our Hospitality Areas for the duration of the first semester of volunteer work. Returning volunteers are given the opportunity to experience volunteering in many other departments, including the ER, Nursing Units, Physical Therapy and many more. Click here to read job descriptions. No matter where you volunteer, you will be making an enormous impact on the families, patients and staff of Dell Children's Medical Center.
Unfortunately we have reached our capacity for supporting those who wish to volunteer at the present time, here at Dell Children's Medical Center Medical Center. Our goal is to supply the volunteer with opportunities that will provide a positive experience to the volunteer while enhancing of our patient and families experience during their stay here at Dell Children's.
Please don't hesitate to call the volunteer office direct on 512 -324-0161 as we will continue to fill volunteer positions on an as need bases.
The College Application will be present for open enrollment again July 18, 2014.
Requirements for College Volunteers:
Please note: do not submit any of the items below to our office at this time. You will be notified of the process through our website when we have volunteer opportunities available.
- Submit an application when it is placed on line. We will post the application on line when we have volunteer opportunities for college students.
- Commit to volunteer once a week for a 3-4 hour shift during the duration of the semester. College volunteers will be committing to an entire semester.
- Complete general hospital orientation with Volunteer Coordinator prior to volunteering.
- Consent to a criminal background check (CBC) provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety for a $5.00 fee (non-refundable). You will pay this fee prior to beginning your volunteer service with us.
- Submit a current (within the past 12 months) TB test. TB test must be a prick/scratch test. Seton is unable to accept blood drawn tests or chest x-rays.
- Purchase a DCMC Volunteer shirt which can be purchased for $15 at the Volunteer Office. Checks may be made payable to: DCMC Volunteer Services. You will obtain and pay for your uniform at the time of your placement meeting.
- Obtain a SETON photo ID badge; the badge is issued by the Security Office and allows free parking on-site.
- Submit proof of immunizations for mumps, measles, rubella and chicken pox. (Your college or university Health Service Center can provide you with these records).
- A letter of recommendation from a professor, coach, employer, supervisor or counselor/advisor. Recommendations must be written as a letter to the attention of the Dell Children's Medical Center Volunteer Department.
- One of the following documents:
- An unofficial transcript from the previous semester
- A grade report
- A class schedule for the upcoming semester
For more information about becoming a College Volunteer, contact the Volunteer Office at (512) 324-0161 or email our office.