Dell Children's Medical Center of Central Texas invites all college students, 18 years and older, to participate in our College Volunteer Program. In addition to making a difference in the community, students will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience through volunteering. College volunteers work in many exciting areas throughout the hospital. First-time volunteers are required to volunteer in one of our Hospitality Areas for the duration of the first semester of volunteer work. Returning volunteers are given the opportunity to experience volunteering in many other departments, including the ER, Nursing Units, Physical Therapy and many more. Click here to read job descriptions. No matter where you volunteer, you will be making an enormous impact on the families, patients and staff of Dell Children's Medical Center.
We do not have a summer volunteer program for college students. Please check back in July, 2013 for information on our Fall, 2013 college volunteer program.
Please contact the Volunteer Office at 512.324.0161 to obtain more information.
Thank you for your interest in our program.
Requirements for College Volunteers:
- Submit an on line application (available on line once the application process opens).
- Commit to volunteer once a week for a 3-4 hour shift during the duration of the semester. College volunteers will be committing to an entire session.
Complete general hospital orientation with Volunteer Coordinator prior to volunteering.
- Consent to a criminal background check (CBC) provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety for a $5.00 fee (non-refundable). Do not send payment at this time. You will pay this fee prior to beginning your volunteer service with us.
- Receive an annual TB skin test.
- Purchase a DCMC Volunteer shirt which can be purchased for $15 at the Volunteer Office. Checks may be made payable to: DCMC Volunteer Services. You will purchase your shirt after attending a required orientation. Do not send payment at this time.
- Obtain a SETON photo ID badge; the badge is issued by the Security Office and allows free parking on-site.
Please provide the following items:
- A completed application. (submitted via our on-line process)
- Proof of immunizations for mumps, measles and rubella. (Your college or university Health Service Center can provide you with these records)
- A letter of recommendation from a professor, coach, employer, supervisor or counselor/advisor. Recommendations must be written as a letter to the attention of the Dell Children's Medical Center Volunteer Department.
One of the following documents:
- An unofficial transcript from the previous semester
- A grade report
- A class schedule for the upcoming semester
- A $5 fee to cover the cost of a Criminal Background Check (non-refundable). Do not send payment at this time. You will pay this fee prior to beginning your volunteer service with us.
For more information about becoming a College Volunteer, contact the Volunteer Office at (512) 324-0161.