Dell Children’s Medical Center of Central Texas invites all college students, 18 years and older, to participate in our College Volunteer Program. In addition to making a difference in the community, students will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience through volunteering. College volunteers work in many exciting areas throughout the hospital. First-time volunteers are required to volunteer in one of our Hospitality Areas for the duration of the first semester of volunteer work. Returning volunteers are given the opportunity to experience volunteering in many other departments, including the ER, Nursing Units, Physical Therapy and many more. Click here to read job descriptions. No matter where you volunteer, you will be making an enormous impact on the families, patients and staff of Dell Children’s Medical Center.
Please don’t hesitate to call the volunteer office direct on 512 -324-0161 should you have additional questions.
Requirements for College Volunteers:
- Submit an application on line.
- Commit to volunteer once a week for a 3-4 hour shift during the duration of the semester. College volunteers will be committing to an entire semester.
- Complete general hospital orientation with Volunteer Coordinator prior to volunteering.
- Consent to a national criminal background check (CBC) provided by our Ministry Service Center.
- Submit a current (within the past 12 months) TB test. TB test must be a prick/scratch test. Seton is unable to accept blood drawn tests or chest x-rays.
- Purchase a DCMC Volunteer shirt which can be purchased for $15 at the Volunteer Office. Checks may be made payable to: DCMC Volunteer Services. You will obtain and pay for your uniform at the time of your placement meeting.
- Obtain a SETON photo ID badge; the badge is issued by the Security Office and allows free parking on-site.
- Submit proof of immunizations for mumps, measles, rubella and chicken pox. (Your college or university Health Service Center can provide you with these records).
- A letter of recommendation from a professor, coach, employer, supervisor or counselor/advisor. Recommendations must be written as a letter to the attention of the Dell Children’s Medical Center Volunteer Department.
- One of the following documents:
- An unofficial transcript from the previous semester
- A grade report
- A class schedule for the upcoming semester