Learn more about the Regional Heart Program at Dell Children's
- In 2010, Dell Children's expanded cardiac care for Central Texas children through a new partnership with one of the nation's leading medical schools, UT Southwestern, and Children's Medical Center Dallas. This collaboration allows us to care for even more complex heart conditions in Austin, Texas at Dell Children's.
- Under the leadership of Regional Heart Program Director, Dr. Joseph Forbess, our physician partners work with the pediatric critical care team to provide world-class quality care to children with congenital heart defects and acquired heart disease.
- A team of medical experts from across the state uses telemedicine -- a network of electronic communication technologies based at Dell Children's -- to collaborate and discuss care plans for patients. Staying in touch through live, privately televised conversations means that doctors can share information, minimize unnecessary diagnostic tests, and shorten hospital stays for your child.
- Dell Children's Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) Program is the only pediatric ECMO program in Austin. ECMO is the use of mechanical devices to temporarily support heart or lung function during cardiopulmonary failure, providing time for a child's lungs and/or heart to rest and recover.
- The Regional Heart Program provides life saving operations for children from developing countries through collaboration with the HeartGift Foundation. These children leave Austin with repaired hearts and a new sense of hope for the future.