Family Resource Center
The Kevin and Debra Rollins Family Resource Center provides information and support for patients, families and the community related to hospitalization, child health, and parenting as well as information about pediatric health resources both at the hospital and in the community. The center’s reference collection and computerized reference materials include information on specific illnesses and conditions, growth and development, and nutrition and safety. Families receive the support and guidance they need to use these materials from a dedicated medical librarian and nurse educator.
By providing information and support to families, the Family Resource Center hopes to improve communication between health care providers and family members and increase understanding of patients’ health needs--ultimately leading to improved health outcomes for the children and youth we serve.
The Family Resource Center is located on the 3rd floor close to the main entrance to the medical center.
Free Wireless Internet Access
To help patients, their families and visitors stay connected with life beyond the hospital, free wireless Internet access is available.
Patients and other guests can use their personal laptops, PDAs, or other handheld devices to access the Internet via Seton's public wireless network called ‘Seton Family Access’. The service is especially beneficial to patients and their families who may need to remain in the hospital for an extended period of time and want a way to keep up with personal or work-related activities.
Patient rooms also have Ethernet ports for those people who do not have wireless computers. The family resource center has several PCs with internet access for those people who do not have computers.
Art and Nature-Gardens and Trails
A stroll through Dell Children’s has been described by design specialists as “breathtaking.”
- a three-acre, multi-level Healing Garden complete with a labyrinth, human sundial, reflecting pond and bridge;
- a plethora of art from both local and global artists, chosen more for the collection’s clinical healing power than for simple aesthetics; and
- courtyards and gardens that represent each of the seven eco-systems, each corresponding to a distinct area of the 46-county Central texas region that Dell Children’s serves.
The Healing Garden is located on the southwest side of the building and wraps around the PICU, IMC and acute care floors. A native landscape palette and water feature will dominate the three-acre Healing Garden, which includes an outdoor theater, sculpture, water features, a labyrinth, a human sundial garden, butterfly gardens and the promise of discovery and surprise. Public access is located at the south exit on the second floor.
The City of Austin has also created a hike & bike green belt that wraps the south side of the Muller Development Site.
Just Steps Away from Dell Children's Medical Center
Austin's Ronald McDonald House provides a home-away-from-home for families with critically ill or injured children undergoing treatment at Austin area hospitals. With 30 suites for families, the Ronald McDonald House is a restful, comfortable place for families to sleep, eat hot meals prepared by volunteers and connect with other families going through similar situations.
- Private Bedrooms -Up to 4 people may stay in a room in the House. All bedrooms have queen Tempur-Pedic beds and queen sleeper sofas. All bedrooms have their own private bathroom as well. Wheel-chair accessible rooms and hearing impaired rooms are available.
- Home-cooked Meals - Generous volunteer groups provide meals, usually twice a day. Guests may also prepare their own food in our spacious kitchen.
- Laundry Facilities - Guests may take advantage of our laundry rooms located on the first and second floors in the House.
- Staying Connected - Wi-Fi access is available throughout the House.
- Keeping your Family Entertained - Our donors have provided a fitness room, a video game room and an indoor play area to help keep your family entertained while you're at the House.
A healthcare professional must refer families to the Ronald McDonald House. Families are asked to make a $10 per night donation, but no family is turned away for inability to pay. Families must live more than 25 miles away in order to stay at the House.
For more information about Ronald McDonald House Charities, call (512) 472-9844 or visit www.rmhc-austin.org.